These cupcakes are addicting, in fact, I am munching on one as I write this post. The delicious flavor of honey blends perfectly with a fluffy cream cheese frosting. If you’ve ever tried a European honey cake called “Medovik” then these cupcakes are a must to make. We buy honey by the gallon locally. I recommend trying local or organic honey, it has a much richer taste than conventional honey.
First combine the flour with the baking powder and set it aside.
Mix the eggs with the sugar until they are pale and fluffy.
Next, add the remaining wet ingredients to the batter.
Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the bowl.
This recipe makes enough batter to fill 12 cupcake liners, which is perfect! It can be easily doubled to make two dozen cupcakes. There you have it, a simple recipe with little effort required.
Then, bake the cupcakes for 18 minutes, over baking them can cause a dry cupcake. The cupcakes continue to bake as they cool.
To make the whipped cream cheese frosting make sure your ingredients are all softened and at room temperature.There is nothing worse than a lumpy frosting.
First beat the butter until it is creamy and fluffy, about one minute. Then add the cream cheese and beat again until fully incorporated.
Next, with your mixer set at low speed add the powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined. Then increase the speed to high for 1-2 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
Frost the cupcakes as desired. I use the No. 1B Drop Flower Decorating Tip and started from the center and swirled a rosette type design.
Sprinkle with some chopped pecan bits (or any nut) and enjoy!
- Serves: 12 cupcakes
- Serving size: 12
- Calories: 395
- Fat: 20
- Saturated fat: 11
- Unsaturated fat: 7
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 51
- Sugar: 40
- Sodium: 770
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 82
- For the honey cupcakes:
- 1¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons oil
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 stick of butter (4 oz)
- 1 package of cream cheese (8 oz)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake/muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat sugar and eggs on medium/high speed until well combined and pale yellow in color; about 3 minutes.
- Add in honey, sour cream, and oil and beat on low until just combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, beating until just combined. Over-mixing will result in a dryer/denser cake.
- Divide the cupcake batter evenly into the cupcake pan, and then place the pan in the oven. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Do not over bake or the cupcakes will be dry. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before topping with frosting.
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- Place butter in a large bowl, or in the body of a stand mixer. With a handheld mixer, or with the whisk attachment on your stand mixer, beat butter on medium-high until completely smooth; about 1 minute. Add in the cream cheese and beat until completely combined. Add in the confectioners (powdered) sugar on low speed until combined and then beat on high-speed for 1-2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Frost the cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle the top of each cupcake with pecan bits (or any nut).
- Store cupcakes in the fridge and bring to room temperature 30 minutes before serving.