For dinner tonight, I had to create a quick meal. I was home watching 2 toddlers, one of which was my daughter, which meant that I literally had no time to prepare anything until they laid down to nap. But no matter how many times I asked them if they were ready to sleep, they kept saying no and running off to their next adventure. After multiple “tea parties” and cheese breaks, they finally gave in, took their blankies and almost passed out on the stairs. Once they were asleep I quickly started prepping this meatloaf.
Most meatloaf recipes use ground beef as the base, I only had pork in my freezer, so I set out to experiment. This was a great choice since my family eats pork in many recipes, most of them are traditional Eastern European recipes. The meatloaf turned out juicy and tender, it was not dry and was easy to assemble. Even my picky daughter loved eating the meat. If you’ve ever had pork patties (katleti), this will taste very similar. I added a barbecue/ketchup mixture since pork pairs fairly well with those condiments.
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, chop the onion, mince the garlic and coarsley chop the bread. Then, combine all of the ingredients except for the barbecue sauce and the second portion of ketchup. I used a disposable plastic glove since I don’t like touching raw meat mixtures. Do not over-handle the meat or else it will be too tough. Next, form the meat into a long loaf in a baking dish lined with foil or parchment paper. Then place in the oven and bake uncovered for 25 minutes before moving onto the next step (a total baking time of 40-45 minutes).
Combine the barbecue sauce and ketchup.
After the meatloaf has baked for 25 minutes, remove from the oven and glaze with the sauce.Bake for another 15-20 minutes. Broil the last 5 minutes of baking. Remove from the oven and let the meat rest for 10 minutes. This meatloaf pairs perfectly with mashed potatoes and can be eaten the next day as a meatloaf sandwich. The meatloaf can also be prepared up to a day before and kept covered in the fridge until ready to bake.
- 1.5 pounds ground pork
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 5 slices Italian loaf bread
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- For the glaze:
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup ketcup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking dish with parchment paper or foil. Set aside.
- Chop the onions, bread and mince the garlic.
- Combine all of the ingredients above except for the glaze ingredients.
- Place the meatloaf mixture in the baking dish a form a loaf shape.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Then combine the glaze ingredients and spread over top of the meatloaf.
- Place meatloaf back in the oven and continue baking for 15-20 more minutes. Broil the last 5 minutes of baking. Take out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Store leftovers in the fridge, up to 3 days.