The perfect combination of almond butter, dried cherries, coconut, and oatmeal all covered in chocolate! These mini bites are a perfect snack for an afternoon tea or an easy dessert to share with friends. The idea for this recipe popped into my head while I while I was trying to create something similar to a chocolate “Buckeye”.
These balls have an amazing flavor and require no baking; just some chocolate melting in the microwave. Even though they are small, the nut butter can give you an energy boost during the day.
I used Justin’s Almond Butter but you can also substitute any kind of nut butter.
Place in the freezer to chill while you prepare the chocolate dip.
The second part of this recipe requires chocolate chips and shortening, plus optional coconut flakes to garnish the tops of the balls.
For the chocolate dip, place chocolate chips and shortening in a bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, mixing each time. My chocolate was fully melted within two 30 second intervals.
Remove the balls from the freezer and prepare your area for the chocolate dipping. Make sure you have parchment paper next to the chocolate bowl for easy placement of the balls.
Dip each ball in the chocolate and place on the parchment paper to harden. The chocolate hardens quickly so garnish with the coconut flakes before the chocolate sets.
If the bowl of chocolate hardens before you finish dipping all of the balls, microwave for 15 seconds and stir until smooth. The chocolate bites taste better chilled, but you can keep them out at room temperature. They can also be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup oatmeal
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ dried cherries, chopped
- For the chocolate dip:
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ¼ cup coconut flakes, for garnish (optional)
- For the almond butter bites:
- Combine all of the ingredients above, except for the chocolate dip ingredients. Mix together until a soft clump forms.
- Then measure a tablespoon amount of the mixture and form into a ball.
- Continue until all of the mixture is gone. Place the balls in the freezer to chill for 20 minutes.
- For the chocolate dip:
- Place chocolate chips and shortening into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, mixing thoroughly in between until all of the chocolate is melted.
- Dip each ball into the chocolate dip and place on parchment paper to harden. Garnish each ball with coconut before the chocolate sets.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.