These pulled chicken sliders are so juicy and delicious, a great addition to a football night party or a weeknight dinner.
With the cooler fall weather, it is so convenient to have a slow-cooker on hand for an easy meal. I use my slow-cooker often for easy meals, this time I used chicken thighs, which do not dry out as much as chicken breasts. Usually I make pulled pork in my slow cooker, but my grocery store had a great deal on chicken thighs and so chicken sliders it was that evening for dinner. These sliders can easily be customized, each person can make their own slider sandwiches based on their preferences. I topped these sliders with some fresh coleslaw, but there are so many options like cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, fresh onions or whatever else is on hand. The chicken is seasoned with a mix of spices and then slow-cooked in its own juices, which results in tender, fall-apart chicken. I use my favorite store-bought barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ) with this chicken since I can’t seem to replicate it.
Ingredients for the pulled chicken:
- 3 lbs chicken thighs
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (or black)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (not pictured above)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavor (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup favorite barbecue sauce
Ingredients for the sliders:
- Pulled chicken (from recipe above)
- Slider buns
- Toppings such as: coleslaw, pickles, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sliced onions
- Place sliced onions and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add in the chicken (with some of the larger pieces of fat removed, the rest will melt off when cooking).
- Mix together 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp red pepper, 1 tbsp salt, 1/2 tsp paprika, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp liquid smoke flavor (optional), and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Pour the mixture over the chicken thighs and turn the slow cooker on high. Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or until the chicken falls apart when pricked with a fork.
- Once the chicken is cooked, carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred into pieces. In a separate bowl, add in the shredded chicken, your favorite barbecue sauce, and a few spoons of the juices from the slow cooker, mix to combine.
- Prepare your slider, place a heaping spoonful of pulled chicken on the bun and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
I love to see your creations! Don’t forget to tag me in an recipes you make, be sure to use hashtag #HerCupofJoy.