This festive layered salad is a must have at family parties.
Happy December everyone! I still can’t get over the fact that we are 15 days away from Christmas, and 20 days away from the last day of the year. This year has truly been blessed, and I have some great news to share with you all. In less than 4 short months, my family will be expanding, Amelia will have a little brother!
She was so excited, and can’t you tell Diesel (our Siberian husky) is even more excited ;)?
This pregnancy has been fairly easy so far, but I’ve been craving all things savory, desserts are okay but I would rather have a cheeseburger or a steak. I can’t have that all the time though, so I stick to salads which are so crispy and refreshing during pregnancy. All of the ingredients in the salad, including bacon, are colorfully displayed in a trifle bowl. Yes, this salad has bacon, and loads of it! The creamy dressing is homemade, both sweet and tart, very similar to ranch dressing. The salad has 7 main ingredients (not including the dressing or cherry tomatoes), which are layered 3 times, so each scoop of salad gets all of the delicious ingredients on your plate. Every time I bring this salad to a family celebration, it gets rave reviews. This is a light salad, yet very filling, all of the ingredients make it hard to stop munching on this salad. The easy part about this salad is that all of the ingredients can be prepped in separate containers the night before assembling the salad. For Thanksgiving this year, I had all of the ingredients ready the night before. Then right before heading out to my sister Lena’s house for dinner I layered all of the ingredients, it took me less than 10 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 12 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes (for the top)
For the Dressing:
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Rinse and chop the veggies, crumble the bacon, and peel and dice the eggs.
- Place one-third of the lettuce in the bottom of a trifle dish. Top with one-third each of the peas, red onion, bacon, hard-boiled egg, cheese and green onions. Do not add the tomatoes yet, they will go on top. Spread one-third of the dressing over the top. Repeat layers again, topping everything off with the dressing and cherry tomato halves.
Serve the salad immediately or within an hour. Or if you want to make it a few hours ahead, keep the salad chilled in the fridge before serving.
I love to see your creations! Don’t forget to tag me in an recipes you make, be sure to use hashtag #HerCupofJoy.
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker