Ingredients (17) 2 tablespoons coconut oil 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thigh 8 tablespoons salted butter, divided ¼ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced ¾ cup chicken broth ½ large carrot, peeled and chopped 1 medium stalk celery, chopped 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme 1/8 teaspoon finely ground pink Himalayan salt…
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thigh
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- ¼ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground pink Himalayan salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 1½ cups finely ground blanched almond flour
- 1 large egg yolk, whisked for egg wash
Try Amazon Fresh
- Saturated fat11.12g
- Trans fat0.27g
Get fresh food news delivered to your inbox
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.
Get The Cookbook
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Cook chicken until no pink remains and internal temperature is at least 165°F, about 7 minutes per side. # Place on a cutting board to cool for about 5 minutes, then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 3In a medium pot over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Pour in chicken broth and add carrot, celery, cauliflower, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- 4Bring the pot to a boil over high heat for 1 minute, then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes until vegetables soften. Sprinkle xanthan gum in the pot, whisking quickly, then pour in heavy cream. Whisk in cream cheese. Add in the cooked chicken.
- 5Turn the heat to low and let the mixture thicken for 10 minutes until thick and creamy.
- 6In a large microwave-safe bowl, add mozzarella, remaining butter, and almond flour. Microwave for 45 seconds, then stir. Microwave for an additional 10 seconds, then stir until a soft ball forms.
- 7Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper on a flat surface and roll into a 9-inch round.
- 8Pour the chicken mixture into a round 9-inch pie dish. Place the dough on top of the dish, pressing the edges into the pie dish. Cut four slits into the dough and brush entire crust with egg yolk.
- 9Bake for 15 minutes or until dough is browned. Let cool for 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve warm.
Excerpted from Keto Comfort Foods by Sam Dillard. Copyright © 2019 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Photography by James Stefiuk. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
Header image courtesy of James Stefiuk