Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.Ingredients:10 small shrimp, shelled1/2 pound cod fillet, cut into 3/4-inch cubes2 garlic cloves, minced2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil1 large onion, chopped1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 3- by 1/4-inch strips2 teaspoons all-purpose flour1 tablespoon tomato paste1 cup bottled clam brotha 14- by 16-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained,…
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
- 10 small shrimp, shelled
- 1/2 pound cod fillet, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 3- by 1/4-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup bottled clam broth
- a 14- by 16-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained, reserving juice, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 10 mussels (preferably cultivated), scrubbed well and beards pulled off
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- In a small bowl toss shrimp and cod with garlic and 1/2 tablespoon oil and let stand while preparing stew.
- In a 3-quart saucepan cook onion and bell pepper in remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and beginning to turn golden. Stir in flour and tomato paste and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, 3 minutes. Add broth in a stream, stirring, and simmer, stirring, until mixture is thickened slightly. Stir in tomatoes with reserved juice, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 10 minutes.
- While stew is simmering, in a 1-quart saucepan combine mussels and vermouth or wine and bring to a broil. Steam mussels, covered, 3 to 5 minutes, or until opened, discarding any unopened ones.
- Add shrimp and cod mixture to stew and simmer 5 minutes, or until cod is just cooked through. Add mussels with cooking liquid and parsley and simmer just until mussels are heated through.